Sunday, May 27, 2012

Book Review- The Girl in the Steel Corset


(From Goodreads) In 1897 England, 16-year-old Finley Jayne is convinced she's a freak. No normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch. Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special . . . that she's one of "them."

So when we first meet, Finely Jayne (sweet name), she's beatly some noble idiot to a plup because he tried to hurt her, she runs away, and ends up at a Duke's mansion. But this isn't just an ordinary Duke and he doesn't run an ordinary household.

First off, I'd like to say that I liked most of the characters. Finley and Griffin I think were both very well developed, as were most of the characters. Finley was at time a strong independant girl and then at other times, she was unsure of herself. Although I was confused most of the time was exactly her "darker" side is. I think its her being super strong, but I'm not sure.

Griffin was noble and understanding although he was a little too noble and unsure a lot of the times. But he was strong and I think is a dependable character. Emily was pretty cool although she was by far the sweetest character (although I thought she could be a bit too timid at times. She reminds me of a mouse). She was cool though being the inventor of the group, she had come pretty awesome creations.

Although I wasn't thrilled with Sam and some of the other characters. One of the main reasons I disliked Sam was that he was so stupidly stubborn and kept it up for most of the book. The constant "we can't trust her" got annoying. Plus, there was kind of a love triangle going on. But I liked both Griffin (cool name!) and Jack Dandy. Although I think that Griffin is the overall better dude even if Finley pretty much couldn't decide the whole time if it was right for a commoner to love a duke.

One of my favorite parts about this book was the names. The names picked for the characters are just awesome. Anyways, the other characters were pretty good. Jasper Renn is an American cowboy (who I thought was protaryed well as a cowboy even though I don't read westerns so I can't totally say). He was funny and pretty cool most of the time. Other times he bugged me with just his adittude. Jack Dandy is the "bad boy", a crime lord who seems to have affections for Finley most of the time. He's dangerous and cool, and I liked him. But I still prefered Griffin over him.

Actually when I think of Jack Dandy, I see a tall, slim man with dark hair and wearing a long coat, top hat, and a cane. And when I think of Griffin, I see a muscular, dark haired guy who's hot and wears pants, dress shirt, and suspenders.

As for the plot, it was pretty interesting. I loved the bits of mystery and the awesome steampunk things in here. There were a lot of cool inventions in here. And the whole world was just very believable I think. The only thing is that you pretty much knew who that bad guy was without much trouble. You should could tell why the wax figure was taken easily. It was a cool idea, although I think there could have been something a bit less cliche then what was done.

Anyways, the setting was really cool. I really do love steampunk and I think this book is a great one. Most of the inventions are believable although some can be a stretch. There's some historical facts mixed in and I enjoyed how Jasper brought in an American pov to the British steampunk scene. That being said, why does it seem like a lot of steampunk happens in London or some European place? Why can't there be steampunk in America or Asia or someplace other then London?

Overall, I really like this book. I vastly enjoyed how there were many words I didn't know and I had to go look them up. I enjoy books that build my vocabulary! I give this book a four and a half stars.

On Goodreads: The Girl in the Steel Corset
Website: Kady Cross

Sincerely,
Sareh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...