Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Long Long Sleep, Imaginary Girls, Blood Red Road, & Beautiful Days

It should have been a short suspended-animation sleep. But this time Rose wakes up to find her past is long gone-- and her future full of peril.


Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten subbasement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long gone, and Rose-- hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire-- is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes-- or be left without any future at all.


So I'm really happy I rented this from the library. I loved this book. Well for the most part I did. 


I thought that all the characters were very realistic. I liked Rose although at times she got on my nerves and I wanted to whack her with her own book. There was one point in the story where it seemed like the author was just using "I've been stassed for so long that my emotions are out of whack. Therefore, its okay for me to act however I want" as an excuse for her character's behavior. Plus I didn't like the love interest, Ben, so much. 


The plot was very good though and gripping. It kept me reading and I loved it. But there was this one really creepy plot twist that made me want to scream in horror. Okay, maybe not that bad, but it was still really creepy and kinda disturbing when one thinks about it. 


Overall I think it deserves a four and a half stars. 


On Goodreads: A Long Long Sleep

Website: Anna Sheehan



Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.


But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.


With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.

I liked this book but I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with other books. Firstly, the book is SUPER slow and it doesn't feel like a lot is happening.

But it was creepy too. The point of view character, Chole, suspects what's going on but no one will say anything. And oh gosh, Ruby is so creepy. The story is about Ruby I think, but she was creepy in this controlling manipulative way.

I was also confused at some parts and I didn't fully understand what was going on or why. The only good characters in the story were Ruby and Chole and I think everyone else was kinda flat in a way. I think they were suppose to be that way, but I didn't really like it.

Over all, I'd give it about two stars.

On Goodreads: Imaginary Girls
Website: Nova Ren Suma

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

I really liked this book. It has an original setting and plot. The characters were for the most part, realistic and good. I loved the little sister, Emi, and I didn't like the protagonist all the much. For some reason she was totally obsessed with her brother, and pretty much out right hated her little sister. I mean, I understand why, but it bugged me. 

All the other characters were good. I wasn't totally crazy about the love interest, but I liked him well enough. I loved the idea of the Free Hawks, they were super cool although I'm sad we didn't get to see a lot of them.

The plot and setting was very interesting, but the most interesting thing about the book was the lack of quotation marks. Which is something I'm seeing more and more of. The last book I saw this in was The Girl in the Arena where instead of quotation marks, the author uses dashes. Here I think it was commas that separated speech from the rest of the text, but for me it got really confusing at times. I like the accents and the way they spoke though, it was interesting. 


Overall, I give it four and a half stars.

On Goodreads: Blood Red Road
For the bright young things of 1929, the beautiful days seem endless, filled with romance and heartbreak, adventure and intrigue, friendship and rivalry.


After a month in New York, Cordelia Grey and Letty Larkspur are small-town girls no longer. They spend their afternoons with Astrid Donal at the Greys' lush Long Island estate and their nights in Manhattan's bustling metropolis. But Letty's not content to be a mere socialite. She is ready at last to chase her Broadway dreams - no matter the cost. 


Cordelia is still reeling from the death of her father at the hands of Thom Hale, the man she thought she loved. Now she is set to honor Darius Grey's legacy... and take her revenge.


Promised to Cordelia's half brother, Astrid is caught up in a world of dazzling jewels and glittering nights - and the sparkle is blinding. Charlie Grey is a gangster playing a dangerous game; and for Astrid, Cordelia, and Letty, the stakes could be deadly...


This is one of my favorite historical fiction series of this generation. Not only am I a recent fan of the 1920s, (which frankly, I've always found interesting but I've always been more interested in ancient history rather then modern history) but I think that Anna Gobersen does a fantastic job with her setting and the way her characters act and talk. 


I think her characters are all realistic and interesting, plus I love their last names. Especially's Letty's name itself. Letty Larkspur. I just think that's a great name. The way they speak is for the most part, well researched. Slang in the 1920s has some very familiar terms but there's also a lot of confusing ones or ones where the meaning has changed for us today. But I think there's a good blend of slang and no slang that its easy to read and follow along even with the slang. 


The period is also well researched in my opinion. From the way they went to speakeasies and to who famous people showed up. Techonological inventions were true to the time and so was the way the characters acted. The flappers were flappers and the gangs were gangs. 


Overall, I give the book about five stars. 


On Goodreads: Beautiful Days
Website: Anna Godbersen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...