Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Book Review- Reached by Ally Condie

(From Goodreads) After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.
 I wished I would have been really impressed with this book. Although I'll have to admit that I liked this much better then other dystopians I have read lately. I wasn't all that thrilled with the second book, but I thought that the third book was much better.

Once again, this series has had some seriously simply, beautiful covers, which I really like. Only with this typeface, it annoys me how the first E is different from the second E. But graphic design student annoyances I guess. But with this cover design, I feel like while there are some really complicated, but seriously beautiful covers out there on the market, I really enjoy how simple, yet eye catching these covers are.

Since this is a review of the third book, I'm making another notice that if you haven't read this book yet or this series, and you don't like spoilers, then don't read ahead. But otherwise, continue. 

Anyways, onto the story. Like in the second book, I thought that this book still had some slow parts to it. There wasn't too much exciting parts to it and I feel the book just kinda got around to things on its own time. But I think that it kinda worked for this book because most of everyone is sick in this book and so it makes sense that there wouldn't be as much excitement as we've seen in other dystopians.

But I also did enjoy the character growth I saw in this book. I thought that Ally Condie did a wonderful job at that, and it was nice to see that not everything worked out in the characters favor all the time. I also thought she wrestled with some topics successfully like grief, pain, loss, and other happier topics, like falling in love again. And moving on from past loves.

I was happy that in the end, Xander ends up falling in love with someone else, although I'll always like Xander better then Ky. And maybe its just because I'm biased towards his name, but I thought that Xander had more character development then Ky. But anyways, it was nice to see that things worked out in the end for him.

Another thing I did like about this book was the level of depth that this book went into and the style that Ally Condie employed like in her last two books of this series. One of my favorite parts was when Cassia starts the place for them to share things like art and music. Maybe its just because I'm an art and writing and music geek, but that really struck a cord with me.

There were a couple parts that I was confused with, like one of them was how did Ky and Indie became one of the best pilots in their society. Maybe I missed something in the other books or this book, but I was just really confused about that.

One of the things I did like about this book is that I felt Condie was able to separate this from other dytopian books. They don't wait until the last scene to overthrow anyone, and instead it happens suddenly, soon, and quickly. I liked that. The other thing I liked was that the characters weren't quite so sure about this new system, they had their doubts. And not only that, but everything wasn't so rosy under this new system. There was good things and bad things.

There was also a lot of plot twists I wasn't expecting, but that I thought were written well enough. One of them, though in the ending, I wasn't overly fond of, but I've decided to let it slide.

Overall I really liked this book and I thought it was a satisfying ending to the series.

You can look up more about this book and this series on Goodreads or on Ally's website.
Goodreads: Reached
Ally Condie's Goodreads Page and her website.

Sincerely,
Sareh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...