Sunday, November 6, 2011

Book Review- The Book Thief

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.



Okay, so I've seen this book in my library before and I didn't pick it up because it didn't sound like something I'd read, but then, my pen pal recommended it and she said it was really good. 


So I read it. 


And it was. 


First of all, the book is kinda in first person and then it kinda isn't. But wait Sareh, how can that be? Well you see, the book is written from Death's point of view in first person but he tells the story of Liesel most of the time so it's kinda in third person. But also kinda like a flash back in a way. 


Anyways, Death was actually funny and cool. And he was interesting. He kinda gave some foreshadowing but instead of ruining the book, I think it made it better because you wanted to read on till whatever happened. 


This book is historical fiction about WWII and usually when we see stories about WWII its from a Jew's pov. But this wasn't, it was about a German girl living in Nazi Germany. I loved how books had such a large part in this story and how they clearly affected the MC and the people around her. It was so interesting to think about how a simple act can change so much. 


One of the reasons I love this book was the writing. It was so...cool and interesting. I thought about the story constantly and I wanted to read more. It was very unique from my perspective. 

The characters were very well developed, each with their flaws and their strengths. Although I didn't like Max all that much for some reason, or his drawings. His drawings sometimes were weird. I liked Liesel's foster parents, they were interesting. Rudy annoyed me at times, but mostly because he was so stubborn. And I thought all the other characters were interesting. Including the mayor's wife (or at least, I think she was the mayor's wife, I can't remember), although I didn't know what was wrong with her. Was she lonely?

Anyways, it was a really great read and I really recommend it. 

On Goodreads: The Book Thief

Sincerely,
Sareh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...