And because I believe that its always good to learn new words and that using different words can help enrich your writing, I'm going to share ten (hopefully new!) words every Tuesday and write a sentence using them. And then every Tuesday, we'll see ten new words and review last week's words.
So let's get started.
*Note: Blogger was being weird when I completed this blog post and wouldn't let me add anything at the bottom without messing up the numbers, so I'm putting what I meant to be at the bottom of this list, here.
- Lusus Naturae- [loo-suhs nuh-toor-ee, -tyoor-ee]- n. A deformed person or thing; freak.
- Variant felt like a lusus naturae when people made fun of her name.
- Telesthesia- [tuhl-uhs-thee-zhuh, -zhee-uh, -zee-uh]- N. sensation or perception received at a distance without the normal operation of the recognized sense organs.
- Juan was gifted with telesthesia, which allowed him to guess the answers to his test from reading his teacher's mind.
- Ignoramus- [ig-nuh-rey-muhs, -ram-uhs]- N. an extremely ignorant person.
- The kid who did not study for the history test was cleary an ignoramus.
- Thaumaturgy- [thaw-muh-tur-jee]- N. the working of wonders or miracles; magic.
- Harry Potter was knew how to use thaumaturgy because he was a wizard.
- Tellurian- [te-loor-ee-uhn]- Adj. of or characteristic of the earth or its inhabitants;terrestrial.
- Trees are a tellurian part of the world.
- Antediluvian- [an-tee-di-loo-vee-uhn]- Adj. of or belonging to the period before the Flood. Gen. 7, 8.2.very old, old-fashioned, or out of date; antiquated;primitive: antediluvian ideas.1. The fashion styles of the 1700s are now antediluvian compared to today's fashion ideals.
- Ephemeral- [ih-fem-er-uhl]- Adj. lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.2.lasting but one day: an ephemeral flower.1. Horse flies are ephemeral creatures.
- Chimerical- [ki-mer-i-kuhl, -meer-, kahy-]- Adj. unreal; imaginary; visionary: a chimerical terrestrial paradise.2.wildly fanciful; highly unrealistic: a chimerical plan.1. Back before the 1960s, the idea that man would walk on the moon was a chimerical idea.
- Quixotic- [kwik-sot-ik]- Adj. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) resembling or befitting DonQuixote.2.extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical,or impracticable.3.impulsive and often rashly unpredictable.1. The extravagant decoration of the birthday hall was quite quixotic with the balloons that spilled out over the chairs and the glitter thrown every where.
- Amaranthine- [am-uh-ran-thin, -thahyn]- Adj. of or like the amaranth.2.unfading; everlasting: a woman of amaranthine loveliness.3.of purplish-red color.1. There is said to be a jellyfish that is amaranthine for whenever it 'dies' it is 'reborn' into a new jellyfish.