Friday, April 6, 2012

Book Review- Illusions

Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice. 

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.



So tonight I decided to review a book instead of  a movie since I did a movie review on Sunday. And when I was figuring out what book to review I couldn't remember what book this was until I looked it up on my "reads" list on Goodreads. Obviously, if this book had been amazing, I would have remembered it more. Since I didn't, this book didn't make a very good impression on me. Onto the review!


Like most of the series so far, nothing much really happens. There's a few exciting parts, but most of the time is spent with Laurel deciding which boy she loves. In the last book she decided to choose David but in this book Tamani suddenly shows up in her school! Aparently he's been sent to protect her and is posing as a transfer student from Scotland (why not Ireland?). 


Anyways, this new student, Yuki appears and there's this big mystery about who she really is and what purpose she has. I liked how there was more mystery in this book and how Tamani finally gets to shower attention on another that's not Laurel. 


The plot itself is actually kinda interesting once Yuki came into the picture. It was mysterious and I basically read it to only find out what was really going on. As for the characters, David is too perfect. Tamani I don't like, but he's better in the fact that he's more 3D than David. Yuki is one of the most interesting characters, although for most of the story, she is WAY too quiet. It bugged me. Plus there's Khea who just throws Yuki onto Laurel and expects her to be all hunkey-dorey with it. Khea wasn't all that great of a protection in my opinion. And Laurel...well...I don't like her all that much. I just don't think she's all that great of a protagonist. She doesn't seem all that strong or special. I like her, but I don't think she's a great protagonist. ANYWAYS. 


One of the things I wish about this series is that the last two books were just as interesting as this one kinda was. The last book was basically all spent Laurel rambling on in Faerieland (Avalon its called) and "trying" to figure out how to use her powers. (The way I see it, she's a failure at trying to mix potions and stuff. In the story, she admits to being able to do basic stuff, but seriously. She should be able to do more than she actually does in the story!)


The other thing that bugged me is the stupid love triangle in this series! She publicly breaks up with someone and then gets back with him after passionately kissing the other dude. I can't wait until Laurel decides to grow up and actually choose someone for once. Its like rebound city in this series!


Oh and really the only other thing I have to comment on in this kinda vague review is the ending. Oh wow...where do I start? The ending slightly confused me, but the very last thing was the part that Laurel spent most of the book trying to figure out. And it was...bam! Here's the most exciting part...and then it ended. While I love cliffhangers, I don't like giant cliffhangers like that. They bug me. Sure, I'll probably read the next book to find out what actually happens, but I don't like it when authors do that. 


It was a very good ending, don't get me wrong. But it was the most exciting part. And then there was nothing after that. It was the best part of the book though. 


Oh! The cover. I love the cover of this book and the second book. They're probably the few books I've seen in a while that don't have a girl on the cover wearing a ballgown. These new ones are very pretty and they did a wonderful job with them even though they don't actually have much to do with the book itself. 


As I said, I'll read the next book, but only to find out what happens with Yuki. None of the other characters make me want to read the next one, just Yuki. I won't buy the next one either, I'll rent it from the library like I've done with all this series. Three stars with a slim chance of four. 


On Goodreads: Illusions
Website: Aprilynne Pike


Sincerely,
Sareh



No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...