Monday, April 18, 2011

Book Review- Matched


Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
When I first heard about Ally Condie's book, Matched, I'll admit I was a little hesitant to read it. I'd never heard about either the author or any of her books before. Plus I've only just begun to discover the wonderful genre called Dystopia. I'd heard about it through Inkpop.com, a writing website for YA writers, who was having an Author Chat with Ms. Condie (An Author Chat is where people on Inkpop get to post their questions for the author). So after reading through this interveiw and hearing more about Matched, I decided, "Why not?"

To tell you the truth, the only other dystopian novels I've read is The Hunger Games Series (which was pretty good, but I'll save that for another post) and The Giver. So I decided to download a free sample on my Kindle.

And it was so good.
So I bought it.

Reading through this book, I discovered that Cassia was a character I could relate to almost instantly. She was likable and seemed like a real person. Not only that, but the world Ms. Condie has built seems real enough I could visit it. Which I love having that feeling when I read a book. I want to experience what the character feels and get to know him/her. I want to experience their world as if it is mine and I am the character in this story.

The plot is also good. We could clearly see the good and the bad sides to the Society. While the system keeps poeple in line and prevents trouble, it also creates even more rules. So many rules that it should be in fact, easier to break. The Society scares people into obeying and gets rid of anything that might cause independant thinking. At first Cassia belived the Society was fully good but as she progresses through the story, she learns the darker sides to the Society. She slowly changes too. In the beginning we met a girl who has never taken a risk, has never done wrong. But in the end we see a girl who is not afraid to take risks and challenge things she does not agree with.

Now besides the good things, there were some parts of the story that I didn't like. Towards the end, Cassia and Ky do spend time together but for a chapter or too, that's all we see. Them. Together. While I have no problem with this, I would have liked to have seen more scenes with Xander in it. He was her Match, after all. Did they go on more dates? What did they talk about? What all can they do now that they are Matched? I also would have liked to see what it said on Xander's card.

I would also like to learn more about the Outer Providences. What are they like? What kind of stuff do they import? Are all the other Providences rebelling?

The part I would have to say I'm most impressed with, is the way she ended her chapters and sections. I loved those sentences. The provoked thought and keep me reading.

"Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.""Only when I hold onto nothing can I be the best, only then can I be what they expect me to be.""In the absence of thunder, he is making his own."


^--- That's just a few to show you what I mean.

Overall, I would have to give it a four and a half rating. The ending bothered me, but in a good way. It makes me wonder what Cassia is going to do next and how. Plus at the ending, you truly saw the love of family and friends, even when Cassia cause them pain, they still loved her and wanted her to be happy.

So have you read this? What do you think of it? What was your favorite part and did anything disappoint you? If you haven't read this, you should!
Till next time,
Peony


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...