Saturday, April 30, 2011

Writing- Writer? Author? What's the Difference?

Okay, so it's been a while since I blogged. I've been very busy this past week. Anyways! Today is Saturday so that means I get to give you lovely writing advice. 

This has nothing to do with the tpoc but it does have something to do with writing. I was asked a while ago what exactly is a writer. According to Dictionary.com, a writer is:
 1) a person engaged in writing  books, articles, stories, etc.,especially as an occupation or profession; an author or journalist. 
2) a scribe.
3) a person who commits his or her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing.

So according to number three, anyone who writes anything is a writer. But according to number one, a writer is someone who writes as a profession/occupation or because they like to write. Well then, what do you think a "writer" is? 

The statement at the bottom of number one bring another part of this to mind. Is there a difference between an author and a writer? 
A conversation between my friend and I went like this:
 she asked, "Wait, i thought you were an author?"
I replied, "Well I'm not published yet, so I'm a writer."
And another friend asked, "Well aren't they the same thing?"
Another of my friends said, "Well, I write essays for school all the time, so that must mean I'm a writer." 

So then we got into this discussion about what the difference between a writer and an author. According once again to dictionary.com an author is
 a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist. 
Well in my opinion, an author is someone who makes a living off of writing while a writer who writes for the fun of it without getting money for it. I went online to my writing site and asked around and most people agreed. One of the people on the site says that "author" is more of a title. 

So then, do you think there is a difference between an author and a writer? Or could they be interchangeable? 
Sincerely, 
Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...