Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Reviews- The Nun's Story, Dangers in the Shadows, & Animal Farm

So I'm doing three mini reviews today. I got the idea (and permission) from the lovely Annie to use this idea for getting caught up on book reviews. I'm sorry I won't be giving the full review these books deserve but I need to get caught up. 




Sister Luke worked with the cynical surgeon in the dangerous Belgian Congo. But now she was afraid-afraid that what he was saying might be true.
This young and beautiful girl gave up the man she loved and all worldly pleasures to become a nun. Here is the strory of her struggle to keep her vows. But it is far more than a fasicinating look behind convent walls and into a woman's soul. It is a tale filled with dramatic action.


So I got this book from my school library when they were getting rid of old books and I decided that this looked interesting. For an older story, its a good book. 


The characters were well developed and the writing style was almost like the writing styles of the 21st century. There were some really lengthy paragraphs though that went on and on for a long time though. But beyond that, it was easy to read.


I enjoyed learning about the nuns and how they lived and worked. The novel seemed wonderfully researched and realistic. It was exciting at parts with even a slightly romantic part. And it isn't really boring at all, even the parts where she's learning how to become a nun and being a nun are interesting. 


But like I said, this was a surprisingly good book and I really did enjoy it. Apparently, its also a movie but I have yet to see it. 


On Goodreads: The Nun's Story
Website: By Kathrine Hulme (There's no website)


Sara's terrified. She's falling in love. And if that's not bad enough, it's with former pro football player Adam Black, a man everyone knows. That fact could cost Sara her life. Sara has been invisible, hidden away in a witness protection program from the man who kidnapped her and her sister twenty-five years ago, who caused her sister's death, and who so traumatized Sara that she blocked out the memory of his face. But Sara knows that he's still doing everything possible to find her-and finish her off before her memory returns. Her only safety is in staying invisible, but Adam won't listen, or give up on what they can have together. Soon they're both caught in a chain of events that brings Sara face to face with terror-and with the sure knowledge that only God can save her and set her free from the Danger in the Shadows.


So this book was loaned to me from my geometry teacher. Its an adult book but I enjoyed the romantic parts in it because it didn't have an questionable content in it. 


Firstly, the characters were all really realistic and enjoyable. It has a dual point between Sara and Adam and I thought that without both point of views the story wouldn't have been as good. Sarah, who's a bit messed up ever since her kidnapping and her sister's death is still a good and realistic person despite the creepy stalker and kidnapper. She refuses to let him control her life. Best of all, she's a writer too!  Adam on the other hand is this really cute and adorable ex football player. He was really sweet and handsome throughout the story.  All in all, they had their flaws and good parts, plus they were strong Christians. 

The plot and story was always exciting and there wasn't a part where I was bored. The ending could have been better though. I kinda think it was almost too easy in the way that they defeated the bad guy and Sara got her life back. But I loved the very ending, it was cute. 

On GoodreadsDanger in the Shadows
Website: Dee Henderson (I didn't like the author page all that much so I'm just linking the Goodreads page)


Tired of their servitude to man, a group of farm animals revolt and establish their own society, only to be betrayed into worse servitude by their leaders, the pigs, whose slogan becomes: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." Published in 1945, this powerful satire of the Russian Revolution under Stalin remains as vivid and relevant today as it was on its first publication. Including Orwell's proposed preface to the original edition and his preface to the 1947 Ukrainian edition, this special edition also features a series of magnificent color & black and white illustrations by Ralph Steadman.


So we had to read this book for British Literature and it was an interesting read. You don't see all that many books were animals are the primary characters and its even rarer to see them as classics. 


So I'm not sure if this summary matches the version we read. While the cover is right, we read a small hardback cover one. Anyways, it was an interesting story. The characters, the animals, were for the most part kind of realistic characters. Most of them were either bad guys or good guys and I guess in a way that's okay for this story because its older and we're suppose to not like some of the characters. 


Overall, I enjoyed reading this short book and it was interesting to see the parallels of the Russian Revolution in it. The ending was a bit creepy though and I'm not positive if what happened literally happened or if that's what it seemed like happened. 

On Goodreads: Animal Farm
Website: George Orwell (There's a website listed, but if I was you, don't click it. When I tried to click it, my anti-virus came up and stopped me from going onto it because it had  a potential for viruses. So don't click it, because I'd be super sad if you got a virus or something.)

Sincerely,
Sareh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...