Tuesday, March 20, 2012

In The News- Would You share your FB password with your boss?

Man guys, I'm really sorry about the lack of posts this month. Only 9. That's a record low for me. I've been busier this month and ever. Last night I did these really big posters for a history project and it took me all night. Whew! Glad that's over though!

Would you share your Facebook with your boss?

Like Justin Bassett, many people are suddenly being asked to let their job interviewers log into their facebook accounts with their password and usernames. These days, where social media often reveals information that employers want to know, these companies are turning to more drastic measures.

Sites such as Facebook, allow users to put their profile on private and so that people who aren't friends with them can't see their private info. So companies are now demanding to be able to either log in themselves, or ask the interviewee to log in during the meeting. Companies also use third party apps to view social media sites.

But unlike Justin Bassett, some people can't afford to say no. For some, that job puts food on the table, like with Robert Collins.
"To me, that's still invasive. I can appreciate the desire to learn more about the applicant, but it's still a violation of people's personal privacy," said Collins, whose case inspired Maryland's legislation.
Companies also ask applicants to friend other people in the company or after employed, sign non-disparagement agreements assuring that the employees won't talk bad about their employer on social media. But asking for passwords is better known in public agencies, especially in areas like law enforcement.

Such companies often look for behavior that could damage a company's reputation. And job seekers should also be aware of what is on their profiles. It is advised to always assume that your profile wil be looked at.
"It's akin to requiring someone's house keys," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former federal prosecutor who calls it "an egregious privacy violation."
To read the full article, click here. 

Hunger Games recipes?
Yes you read that right. I recently discovered this article stating how to make food from the Hunger Games. You can see them here.

Bans on Skinny Models.

The long debated issue is being settled in Israel. Lawmakers there are attempting to ban ultrathin models.

On Monday, a law was passed that requires both male and female models in Israel to have a healthy "body mass index (or BMI, a measure of weight proportionate to height), no less than 18.5—a standard used by the World Health Organization—or a note from a doctor saying they are not underweight before they can be hired for a modeling job."

Models can no longer look underweight can ads must now state if they use photoshop or a similar program if they altered the images to make the model look skinner. Lawmakers are hoping that these measures will encourage a healthy body image and to help fight eating disorders.
According to a study cited by the Associated Press, 2 percent of girls aged 14 to 18 in Israel have eating disorders.
"Beautiful is not underweight," Rachel Adato, one of the lawmakers who voted for the bill, told Reuters. "Beautiful should not be anorexic."
Contratry to popular opinion, I myself am not underweight. I'm just super short and skinny. Weighing less than 100 lbs and shorter than your average girl, I still have a healthy weight. Although, I'll admit, you can see my ribs if I lift my arms above my head. When I was younger, my doctor told me to eat ice cream every night. I never did. I hated bedtime snacks. But in any case, I could never be a model, so this doesn't affect me. Modeling agencies would not hire someone as short as me. Anyways, to read the full article, click here.


Short Sport?
Jen Arnold and Bill Klein, stars of the hit TLC reality show, "The Little Couple," are trying to get the message out that dwarf tossing is NOT a sport.
"It's basically, where in a bar, if you are partaking of libations, adult beverages, a little person agrees to put a hat on them, a helmet for safety and some padding and they are thrown as far as they possibly can just because they are a little person. As you can imagine, that's not a very safe activity."
Despite being incredibly demeaning and wrong, State Rep. Ritch Workman, a Republican from Melbourne, Florida wants to repeal the law that made this illegal in the state of Florida. 
And for a person who is exteremely short herself (although is not a dwarf) and who actually has dwarfs in her extended family (yes, there's two! The father married into the extended family and his son is short like him. For Halloween one year, they dressed as leprechauns. It was funny, but they're cool.), I consider this offensive. Especially..how is this considered a sport?


To read more and watch the videos, click right here.

Sincerely,
Sareh




4 comments:

  1. OMG! No I wouldn't!

    My personal belief is that it is an invasion of privacy. Plus, I also believe a personal and professional life SHOULD ALWAYS be kept separate.

    I just think it's silly that employers want to know so much about a person. In a way, it could be classed as harassment. If them asking for the password makes you feel threatened and they continue to push, you should be able to file for harassment i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I also truly agree that personal and professional should be kept separate!

    If I was ever asked for my password to anything, I'd say no and leave. No questions asked. I don't have anything to hide, but I'd rather not have my employers know everything about me. That'd be creepy. Plus what if they saved your password so they could log on whenever? O.O

    Agreed. And I certainly think it could well be classified as harassment. And apparently its a federal crime to ask for stuff like that although the law is rarely acted on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't give my password. There's no good reason for it. And my FB is incredibly boring, anyway.

    Personally, I think the underweight model thing isn't right. Yeah, I agree that too-skinny models are not good for girls' self-esteems, but the government shouldn't be involved. There's no reason, in my opinion. If people don't like the skinny models, they won't buy the clothes/magazines/whatever. That should speak for itself, and a law shouldn't be needed.

    I can't believe anyone would actually participate in "dwarf tossing". Does this originate from Lord of the Rings? In one scene, they're trying to get over a gap in their path. Aragorn tosses the short hobbits over, but as soon as he tries to throw the dwarf, the dwarf says "Nobody tosses a dwarf!". In the third movie, the dwarf lets Aragorn toss him (to take the enemy by surprise), but only after saying "Don't tell the elf!".

    Video depiction of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKrei80jBg8&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I never post anything on my FB anyways. It'd be incredibly useless for them.

      I agree. The people should be the ones telling the magazines or whatever that they don't want to have ultraskinny models. But maybe they feel as the people aren't loud enough and so that government is stepping in for them?

      I agree. And I have no idea where it comes from. I think its incredibly insulting and stupid. Not to mention dangerous. Who would want to throw someone or much less be the person being thrown? Maybe if you're being payed lots, but even then... Haha I love those movies.

      Thanks! *goes to watch*

      Delete

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...