Sunday, December 11, 2011

Book Review- Legacies

(From Goodreads) Spirit White has survived from a deadly car crash that has killed her mother and father and her sister. She has been discovered by a school with special talents, called magic. A couple of months after staying, people begin to disappear, some vanish to be never seen again, so Spirit and her new friends begin the investigation. But will they find out the truth of what is going on? Or will Spirit and her friends suffer a terrible fate from which they don't know about yet?


The only thing that bothers me about this book was that in the beginning is the similarities to Harry Potter. But beyond the few similarities, there isn't much the same anyways. This story was really good, while it does have it's slow parts, it's still good. 

The characters were all very good although at times I had trouble picking out who was different from who if it hadn't been for the name tags. I thought that for having just lost everything Spirit wasn't all that upset about it throughout the book. While she is upset about it at the start, she slowly seems to forget about it until random parts. Although I guess she was too busy trying to figure out what was really going on. 



As for the other characters, besides having trouble being able to pick out who was who when there wasn't tags, they were all pretty good. I loved all the characters although I wasn't really impressed with the Doctor A. dude. He was...weird. And he reminded me alot of the headmaster from Harry Potter (I can't remember his name at the moment....oh wait, Dumbledore. I think that's it. I've always found that name funny). 

I loved the mystery in this story and the descriptions and the writing. Plus the names, I adore the names picked out for the characters. They are awesome. I don't like the cover all that much. There's this weird blue tint to everything. It looks good in the background but horrible on the girl. I have no idea what they were trying to do there. Maybe trying to look cool? I think all they ended up is making her look like she's some weird zombie freak. 



Anyways, besides having a freaky orphanage/school where her parents went before her (*coughharrypottercough*), Spirit (cool name, although I'd never name a kid that; or Phoenix which was her sister) doesn't seem to have any powers. Powers in this book stem from one or more of the four elements: fire, water, air, and earth. Besides having one, two, or more element combination, powers range into all sorts of cool abilities. I think one of the ones from earth was called Pathfinder, the ability to  never get lost and you always know where you're going. Yet her teachers all insist she has some kind of powers. 


The ending was cool and I loved the idea of it. Although I'm interested in the finding out who the traitor is. 
Will I read the next one, Conspiracies? Yes. This book gets four and a half stars. 


On Goodreads: Legacies
Website: Mercedes Lackey & Rosemary Edghill

Sincerely,
Sareh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...