So over the next few weeks I shall give you some interesting facts about the presidents of the U.S. Each week I shall cover ten presidents.
- George Washington: The salary of the first preisident of the U.S happened to be 250,000 dollars. Which would be about a million dollars in today's world. He loved spending money, in fact, he bought leopard skin robes for his horses.
- John Adams: When the second president moved into the White House, his wife, Abigail, used the east room to hand wet laundry in. On his gravestone, he never mentioned that he was president of the U.S.
- Thomas Jefferson: This one was known to greet forgein officals in his PJs. Apparently, he wasn't one to change into his clothes when he woke up.
- James Madison: He was the shortest president in history- standing only at five feet, four inches.
- James Monroe : The third president to die on July 4th.
- John Quincy Adams: Both him and his father, John Adams, were the first two presidents to be kicked out of the White House after one term.
- Andrew Jackson : He was nearly killed by an insane assassin. The man who tried to shoot him misfired twice, the odds of that happening are 1 in 125,000.
- Martin Van Buren: His autobiography never mentions his wife, Hannah, once.
- William Henry Harrison: Not only did he have the shortest term as president, but he was the last American president to have been born an english citizen.
- John Tyler: He had more children than any other president in history- a total of fifteen. Eight by first wife and seven by his second. When he married his second wife, his eldest daughter was five years older than his second wife. His second wife, Julia, happened to be twenty three when they mar. Tyler was born during George Washington's term as president and Tyler's youngest daughter, who was born when he was seventy-seven, died during Harry Turman's time as president.
The Secret Lives of the U.S Presidents by Cormac O'Brien