Thursday, September 22, 2011

Book Review- City of Ashes

(From Goodreads) As readers of series starter City of Bones already know, teenager Clary Fray is a Shadowhunter, a demon slayer who has the gift (?) of spotting Downworlder werewolves, vampires, and faeries. She is also an adolescent in an abnormally dysfunctional family: Her mom is in a magically induced coma and her father is probably insane and undoubtedly evil. All of which places Clary in situations that would challenge even the most talented average American girl.


The second book in this series is just as good as the last one if not better. This time, this one was lended to me by a friend who was generous to let me barrow it. Anyways. Spoiler alert!!! (As in, this review officially contains spoilers). 


You have been warned. 
In bold letters. 


This book as far as the plot goes, was pretty good with lots of plot twists and exciting new things. I loved her writing style although there are some things I wasn't really happy about. Simon annoyed me although I was sad/upset about the plot twist that involves him. Plus the ending part with him makes no sense at all. They tell you that he isn't suppose to be able to walk in sunlight yet at the end he is able to. And it is never explained how or why! 


I enjoyed Jace for a character, he was funny although annoying at times. I hated the part where they had to go into the Faerie queen's domain and in order to get out she had to kiss Jace even though she knows that he is her brother. I mean, that's just wrong. But if you found out that someone was your brother wouldn't you not be attracted to them? Wouldn't you suddenly be repulsed and werid-ed out by the fact that he's your brother? I've heard rumors and seen hints that they're not actually related so I dearly hope that this is true because I'm seriously not going to want to read the next couple of books if they are related. And so I hope the author doesn't think that brother-sister relationships are okay. Because if she does I will lose all respect. 


The other part that bothered me was how Alec is gay and Magnus is too. It just bothered me. Although I'm glad that it isn't constantly shoved into our faces. I was happy in the end about the choice that Jace and Clary made because it's the right choice although a small part of me was sad. I'm glad Jace didn't go with his father and I hated the Inquisitor, even though she had a good reason. I still thought that her plan was going way overboard. And the one character I really liked in this book other than Luke is Maia. She's cool and awesome. Plus I thought it was very cool how she likes Simon and he's a vampire and she's a werewolf. Sweet. 


What I liked....besides the writing style...I liked most of the characters, Luke is my favorite, and I thought that it is very cool that Clary can create her own runes. Although I don't think it's very surprising, I could see hints of it earlier. 


Will I read the next book? I think I will although I'll be wary of it. And I'll say that this isn't one of my favorite series just because there's so many things morally wrong with the books. I mean that's just my opinion and it shouldn't stop you or anyone else from reading these books but I just have high standards. Not that the books are bad or anything but...still...I'll stop rambling now. 


On Goodreads: City of Ashes

So, have you ever read a book where you stopped reading it or considered reading it because you didn't agree with something in it? 


Sincerely,
Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...