Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Review- The Iron Queen

So apparently yesterday my brain told me it was Wednesday. I'm not sure why, but by the time I realized my mistake it was too late to correct it and I was too tired. So, I'm giving you the book review today. And a  movie review too. 

My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.


So this is the third book in The Iron Fey series by Julia Kagawa. In this book Meghan and her ice prince/lover Ash are stuck in our world after being banished from the Faerie Realm. After rescuing her father who is a bit insane, Meghan must learn to use both her Summer powers and her Iron powers. Only every time she tries to use them, the Iron magic messes up her Summer magic. 


So while later, blah blah blah, Meghan makes Ash her Knight which is a way of saying "you have to stick by my side forever even if it means death" and it's a great insult if you make someone who's your knight no longer your knight. 


After this goes on, the Summer king (Oberon her real father) and the Ice queen, Mab, call Meghan back into the Faerie worlds because they need her help. She agrees to help them that on the terms that they will be allowed to stay in the Faerie world after the battle with the Iron fey. After several attacks from the Iron fey she, Ash, Puck, and this cute and funny gremlin travel deep into Iron Fey territory (which is vastly killing the Faerie and taking over the Realms) where they meet this guy (Faerie thing) that loves clocks. 


Then a whole bunch of other gremlins come and take Meghan and her friends to this rebel Iron Fey group who claim that they are trying to defeat this false Iron King. So after hunting down the false king, Meghan sacrifices herself to save the Faeries and then at a last attempt to save Ash (who is Meghan dies, he has to kill himself) she releases him from his promise and because he's now been deeply insulted and whatnot goes off on his own adventure (which turns into The Iron Knight, hopefully coming out soon) and Meghan visits her human family and then disappears back into the Iron Realm as it's rightful ruler. 

What I liked: I loved Ash's role in the story. He's so cute and I'd be totally jealous of Meghan if they were real. I liked Puck and how he returns to the story, although his character gets on my nerves alot during the story. I loved the gremlins, they were cute. And I really liked the plot line to this and how she saved her human dad from this Faerie. I liked the parts where he didn't seem so insane and seemed...normal. I thought the idea of the gems Ash and Puck had to wear otherwise the Iron would hurt them. And I loved the part where Meghan realized what she had to do to save Faerie. She's so strong!


What I disliked: I hated the ending! I didn't like it because she releases Ash from his promise and he goes off on an adventure leaving Meghan feeling guilty and alone. Although it was a good emotional ending I'll say. Puck annoyed me throughout the story (I already mentioned that). And I thought some parts were unnessary to the story line. 


Overall: It was very good and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA fantasy, Faeries, and cute guys. 


Today's Video: The Trailer to the Iron Fey series
Hey it relates to the post! 


So, have you ever read this series? If you have are you excited for The Iron Knight? Have you seen the cover for it? Ash looks hot (well the model does anyways...).


Debate or Topic Question(s): Does difference between the spellings of Faeries vs Fairies mean anything? (for example, is there a reason why they're spelled differently? Could each spelling be a different species? Which spelling do you prefer and why?)


Sincerely,
Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...