Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review- Be More Chill

Jeremy Heere is your average high school dork. Day after day, he stares at beautiful Christine, the girl he can never have, and dryly notes the small humiliations that come his way. . . until the day he finds out about the "squip." This pill-sized supercomputer, when swallowed, is guaranteed to bring you whatever you most desire in life. By instructing him on everything from what to wear to how to talk and walk, the squip transforms Jeremy from Supergeek into one of the most popular guys in class. Soon he is friends with his former tormentors and has the attention of the hottest girls in school. But Jeremy eventually discovers that there is also a dark side to having a computer inside your brain-and it can have disastrous consequences.


I'm not sure if I've said this before, but if I haven't, I'll say it here. I don't usually read general fiction stories. Or stories set in high school life like our world. Where being "popular" is all that matters and doing drugs and such is cool. If I do read a book about a school it's usually one that's a private, hard-to-get-into school. 


I guess one of the reasons I picked this book was because it sounded funny and I thought the idea of having something tell you what to do was an interesting concept. And the story is indeed funny. Both squip and Jeremy are amusing and odd at times. 


The characters were all very good I'll have to say. They were believable and Jeremy was certainly a character most of us could relate to on some level. Note "some level". 


While the story line was good, I did not enjoy reading about some things. The details describing sexual stuff was uncomfortable to read and I had to skip over some parts of it. But since it takes up a lot of the book, I ended up skipping over quite a few pages. Now I'm sure you're asking why I just didn't put the book down then and stop reading it. Well, I wanted to see what would happen to Jeremy in the end and see if he would get the girl. 


Although I liked that the swear words for the most part were bleeped out, I thought that the book centered too much on popularity and sex, thus reinforcing the idea that the popular people are all that and "everyone's doing it"/"go ahead and do it, it doesn't matter. I mean it's just stupid. Not every high school is like that. Mine does really have popular kids and there aren't really anyone pressuring everyone to have sex all the time. 


But even though I thought it did center too much on popularity being good, I guess in the end Jeremy did see that being popular wasn't as it is all cracked up to be and that sometimes it's better to just be you. I was hoping that in the end we would see if Jeremy would get together or not with Christine, but we never did see that. All it explains is that the book was sent to her to explain Jeremy's actions and why he did the things he did. I guess we'll just have to think whatever we'd like. And I guess sometimes that's a good thing, not knowing if the love interests ended up together or whatever it is. 


Overall: It was an interesting book. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're comfortable reading about taboo subjects and you're pretty mature. But yes, it's a mature book for mature people. That's how I'd describe it. 


So, have you ever many books where someone is either being mind controlled or they are listening to something that tells them what to do? Was it a good book? 


Sincerely,
Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...