Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review- Prophecy of the Sisters

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-
One good...
One evil...
Who will prevail?
Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets. 
Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.
They just know they can't trust each other.



In the first book in this series I found this book at my library and started to read it while waiting for my brother to come pick me up. I usually don't really paranormal/gothic books but as of late I've somewhat been getting into them (mind you, I still will not pick up a vampire book). I've seen this book before at the bookstore but I never bothered picking it up because I was too busy buying the books I originally came for. 


When I began reading it I fell in love with Michelle Zink's writing style. It's first person in present tense (I think). One of the reasons I think I love this point of view is because I'm writing one of my books in this PoV too. So it helps me see how other writers have handled it. The second thing that drew me in was Lia's voice and the way she told the story. I also loved the way Ms. Michelle words her sentences. 


I thought that the prophecy was interesting, the way she wrote it was cool. And I like the mystery and the quest that Lia has to take. I thought that the characters were nicely done. I disliked Alice, although I never could figure out if Lia and Alice were close when they were young. Although I enjoyed Sonia's character, I thought that she trusted Lia too soon and that they became friends too quickly. Although I enjoyed the slight romantic pieces in the story, I was disappointed how Lia didn't tell James about the prophecy. Poor James! And he really is cute! I liked Aunt Victoria's part in the story, I thought she did well, as did Lia's brother Henry. Poor Henry, I hate the ending! 


The rules that was laid out for the Outerworlds and the rules set upon Lia and Alice are interesting. As is the parts about their births. I wasn't expecting it. Although there were a lot of surprises in the story but to me I had already figured them out by the time they were revealed. Maybe it's cause I'm a writer or it was just really clear what was going to happen in some parts. 


At times I thought that some parts were rushed and that the characters did things for no reason (like how Alice and her friend got to see Sonia and then Alice gets mad at the end of the visit). And although I thought that the Outerworlds was cool, the whole spirit talker and spirit world thing bugs me. I don't apporve of people who try to talk to the dead at all so I wasn't thrilled with this part. I also thought that Lia should have been more..afraid of this whole thing. Where was her screaming, "why me?" She seemed to take the fact that she could very much help end the world at any time pretty calmly. It didn't seem to scared her witless. (I mean think about it, what would you do if you could help end the world?)


I liked the setting. Although I've seen alot of the 1890s in books lately. Maybe it's the Luxe series to blame? But I think that the time period fits. The part where the little girl randomly shows up was weird. I mean she just shows up and then reappears whenever Lia loses the ribbon. Who is this girl?! 


The other part that bugged me was that Lia didn't seem to grieve all that much over her father's death. She did a little at first, but then afterwards it's...nothing. Where was her crying and sobbing over his death? I mean, from what the story implied they seemed pretty close. And then only a couple pages here and there have speaks of her being sad over his death.  


Overall I really liked this book. I thought it was good but parts bugged me. Especially about the whole evil Beast and spirit talker people. 


Offial Website: Michelle Zink
On Goodreads: Prophecy of the Sisters

*By the way, Mondays will also be Book Reviews again along with Poetry because of the excessive amount of books I'm reading during the summer. Probably during the school year I'll change it back to just Poetry.

So, have you ever read any books with end of the world stuff (besides zombies)? How about books with twins in them?

Sincerely,
Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments with profanity or comments that are hurtful/ mean will be removed. We appreciate hearing your thoughts. Remember, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face please do not say it on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...